Friday, November 16, 2012

Cult Nails Disciplined Glitter Sandwich

Pin It
Hello everyone! I hope that you all are about to start a wonderful weekend. I figured there is no better way to start the weekend than with an exciting manicure. I allowed myself a big splurge last week, purchasing the Cult Nails Behind Closed Doors collection within moments of its release for sale on Thursday evening. I couldn't wait to set my eyes on these polishes. Then, I woke up on Wednesday morning, walked downstairs, and saw a small box sitting by the door inside my house. The package had been delivered on Tuesday, but my husband forgot to tell me! If he wasn't such a wonderful man, I would have been quite upset that he made my little polish beauties sit inside that box overnight. Sometimes he doesn't understand my passion for nail polish.

As I was driving home from work on Wednesday evening, I was mapping this manicure in my mind, pale pink as the base, bright multicolor glitter for the filling and then Cult Nails Disciplined to keep the whole manicure in line.

I took an unintentional break from all the blogs I read during August and it seems like I missed out on some very important nail polish news. I knew nothing about these peel off basecoats and by a fluke, found an old blog post about it earlier this week. I had been avoiding my glittery polishes for all this time for no reason! I always knew that there should be some manicure uses for Elmer's glue, but I had no idea that it would be my basecoat.

I started this manicure with two layers of thinned Elmer's glue, two coats of Sinful Colors Easy Going, a dabbed on coat of Milani Gems, and two coats of Cult Nails Disciplined. I know that I made a joke about Disciplined keeping the manicure "in line" before, but it really did. The bright colors of Milani Gems on top of the pale, petal pink of Easy Going was very brash and looked a little immature. Once covered with the soft, sheerness of Disciplined, the glitter looked pretty and pastel. Disciplined was like a grey, shimmering, chiffon gown covering the manicure and I loved it.

This manicure lasted two days, but probably could have gone three, maybe even four if I was really careful and took super fast showers. The peel off basecoat is not designed for long wear, but easy removal. And easy it was! It took less than two minutes to peel off each finger, with no stray bits of polish to struggle with. One thing that I did notice while wearing the peel off basecoat was that if an edge was starting to come free, I could just dampen it a little, hold it down for a couple of moments and it would re-adhere to the nail.

I am so happy about the Cult Nails Behind Closed Doors Collection. I am wearing Bitten on my nails right now and it makes me swoon. All of the colors in this collection make me a little weak in the knees and I hope to post more about them soon.

Also, Elmer's glue as a basecoat! This is such a happy day! I try not to use nail polish remover more than once a week so that I don't dry out my nails too much. Now, I can switch up my polish so much more often. I still like to wear spectacular colors for longer than a few days, but once in a while I get a little fickle, so this will feed my fickleness. And I will definitely want to wear Disciplined on its own for more than two days very soon. It is so lovely.

What do you think of Cult Nails Disciplined as a jelly sandwich? How often do you change your polish?


Once again, I'm joining the Nail Files. I've missed out on seeing all the great manicures and polish lust. I can't wait to catch up a little. Go check it out yourself!

Have a great weekend.
~Alexis